[pacman-dev] cvs unusable on x86_64

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:25:09 EDT 2006

2006/10/25, Christian Hamar alias krix <krics at gds.hu>:
> 2006. 10. 25, szerda keltezéssel 10.56-kor Aaron Griffin ezt írta:
> > On 10/25/06, Piche, Kevin <kevin.piche at cgi.com> wrote:
> > > Frankly I don't like ftplib - it doesn't work with proxies so I have to
> > > use wget.  Maybe we should switch to libcurl or something.
> >
> > On this note, I agree 100% - but libcurl is messy.  I would prefer
> > something along the lines of libarchive - maybe libfetch (also from
> > bsd) ?
>
> For points. I agree with that we need to replace ftplib with some
> "newer" and some active developed project. Because as i see ftplib dead
> (development)
>
> I dont know libcurl. And never hear from libfetch  :) Maybe i see
> libfetch in these days.
>
> I support this idea.

libcurl is the most featured and thus too heavy for Pacman, IMHO. I
don't know if compiling it with some featuress omitted will help much.
A list of libraries can be found at http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html

libfetch seems to be nice alternative to ftplib. It is small, has
simple and stable API, is maintained, supports HTTP and FTP downloads
and uploads, HTTP proxies and redirects.
Sources are here: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libfetch/

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)