[pacman-dev] cvs unusable on x86_64

Jürgen Hötzel juergen at hoetzel.info
Thu Oct 26 17:12:22 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 03:45:14PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2006/10/26, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> > > Regardless, it's fixed and I integrated it into pacman.  It was pretty
> > > quick, and let me remove about 500 lines.  I also got to change the
> > > download callback format (thank god), as using about 50 different
> > > 'global' variables was disgusting.  Of course, this breaks some things
> > > until they use the new format (assuming it's ok).
> >
> > Aaron, it will be really cool if you make a Linux port of libfetch
> > available not only from Arch CVS. AFAIK many people want something
> > like libfetch under Linux. (I realized this even more while searched
> > over Internet for Linux port of it)
>
> I plan on it, but I will fork it.  One of my tabled projects, for a
> long time, has been a decent "download" library for using external
> resources.  I plan on adding segmented downloading among other things
> (torrent and metalink support?), but that may be a long ways off.  I
> will provide a patch to allow libfetch to compile under linux, mostly
> unmolested, but I also plan on forking this for my own ideas 8)

Good Point. I also thought about this. I would prefer removing any file
retrieving functionality from pacman. Retrieving package-databases and
packages should be the duty of another program. As in Unix philosophy:
"Make each program do one thing well".

Same applies to package signing: If features (not related to core
packet management) will be moved to pacman we will loose flexibility and
end up with a book like Maximum Pacman which covers 450 Pages ;)

Jürgen