[pacman-dev] backends

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:11:05 EDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not make a benchmark? ;-) Really, there are some users that
> complain about pacman slowness, and it's not about really slow
> operations like -Ss, but about really trivial operations, that
> shouldn't be so slow. That's because files backend is highly dependent
> on the type of underlying filesystem. Database backend may make these
> users happy,because it's not dependent on filesystem type.

No no no.... you're missing the point.  Because reading individual
files is slow, we need a new backend.  This does not imply a database
backend is a good idea.  It implies a single-file solution is ideal,
yes.  What I've been trying to show was that, considering the
slow-down is from reading hundreds of files, that does not imply a
database.  ANY single-file solution would work.

That is why I was on about string matching and things of that nature -
because if we take "single file solution A" and compare it to "DB
solution A", there are negligable differences, and the DB one adds
much more complexity and security flaws (i.e. embedded SQL statement
strings).