[pacman-dev] Time for changes

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:48:28 EDT 2006

Ok, I think it's about time I picked up pacman developement, seeing as
we really have no one else doing it.  I've been busy, so I was really
hoping someone else would volunteer, but what the hell.

If you frugalware guys could send me a full diff (here or offlist) of
your repo compared to the trunk, that'd be great.  I don't like
applying patches without verifying them, so I'm going to step through
each hunk (this is why I originally requested them as the seperate
patches sent to the ML, but I can deal with it either way).

One thing i plan on doing right off the bat: I want to enable a
side-by-side install with the current pacman, so that we can get some
real testing by those (like me) who don't want to overwrite the stable
pacman.  This is just informational, but it shouldn't affect the
frugalware guys.

To the furgalware team:  you have more experience with this new pacman
that I do... could you give me a brief "what's changed" -
functionality wise.  I mean, when actually using pacman3, what is done
differently?

What future directions are we going for?  I'd like to get this stable
as soon as possible, but once that's done, I have a handful of nifty
features I wanted to add (those on the dev list: I want to add
filesystem hooks first, then some more advanced output logging).

There are also some potential changes to gensync and friends,
depending on what direction we go with some svn changes... but that's
off topic.

Anyway, let me know.
Aaron Griffin
- phrakture -