[pacman-dev] Arch neutrral packages

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:54:05 EDT 2007

I thought about arch="any" few times in the past.
What's it useful for: fonts, icon themes, documentation packages, and
one of the biggest things - game data (this would require splitting
out *-data packages from big 3D games though).
This will also save uploading time and server storage space.

There are few technical issues:

1) Where to put those *-any (*-all whatever)?
but users that create mirror for one arch only shouldn't forget to
sync "any" too.

2) How to store them in SCM?
Well, with the last proposed /packages/package-name/PKGBUILD structure
everything is simple as we won't have different dirs for each arch.

3) How to store them in repo DB?
gensync/repo-add/etc. should handle arch="any" with every other arch
at the same time, i.e. when updating i686 repo - add *-any packages to
it too.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)