[pacman-dev] [BUG] pacman freezes and eats up all the cpu

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:44:50 EDT 2007

On 4/10/07, bardo <ilbardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/10/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well I don't know that this is a bug if you started doing that. We'd
> > need a much better bug report and a way to reproduce it.
>
> Ok, I think I didn't make myself clear in the first place, and then I
> misinterpreted your reply. I didn't run pacman twice. I removed the
> *package file* I was installing with 'rm', I never called 'pacman -R'.
> Better now? :-)
>
> > If you can, the output from pacman with the --debug flag would be
> > useful, along with a specific version.
>
> I'm using pacman 3.0.1 from testing. For the --debug flag, it'll take
> a while, since I have to remove the package during the conflict
> checking, which is a pretty short time. A moment earlier and it won't
> start the update, a moment later and it'll be locked by root.

Ah, correct, I did not understand you the first time.

Does my comment on this not being a bug still stand? I guess I would
almost categorize this as a feature request (not to paint a bikeshed
here) to have pacman hold a lock (file descriptor) on all files from
the get-go so this situation can never happen. The chances of it
happening are pretty rare to begin with.