[pacman-dev] localdb dependency storing + function for depsearch

Nagy Gabor ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Tue Apr 10 16:24:43 EDT 2007

Hi!
The first part is only a theoretical discussion only, because changing
the db backend is not so easy ;-).
There is nothing wrong with the current way, I just don't like it ;-),
because it makes pacman's source more difficult to understand and
we need some extra computation when resolving/modifying
dependencies.
I think storing storing "satisfied dependencies" to/'instead of'
requiredby, because this is more plausible. This is the information
what we need during package update and removal (if we check that any of
the remaining packages satisfies this dependency). So we need to
figure out dependencies (yes, more than one possible!) between the
current package and its requiredby package, which is boring ;-)
And %DEPENDS% should store all packages too which satisfies the dep.
A 'depends' example:
%DEPENDS%
foo1: foo1
foo2<=1.0: foo2
provide_foo: foo3_0, foo3_1
foo4: BROKEN
%REQUIREDBY%
foo5: provide_foo2
foo5: foo5=1.0
A function for depsearch would be nice (this can be called from
_alpm_depcheck and similar) + in case of searching other provider
(before removal of package which may break a "providedep") for example

Bye, ngaba