[pacman-dev] pacman, be quiet !

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:10:27 EDT 2007

$sudo pacman -Syu
:: lomoco: local (1.0-5) appears to be newer than repo (community/1.0-3)

I know, I installed that! grrr...
I know I'm annoying with debian (:D), but debian tools like apt-get or
aptitude don't annoy me with these kind of messages at each upgrade.
However, what I like in synaptic (gui frontend) is its ability to show
these locally installed packages (I don't think apt-get can do it).
So what would be great is to disable these messages by default, but
being able to list them, with eg pacman -Q --local, or whatever. But
that's too hard for me.
Anyway, I was looking at pacman code in pacman.c , and saw this :
290         /* debug levels are made more 'human readable' than using
a raw logmask
291          * here, we will ALWAYS set error and warning for now,
though perhaps a
292          * --quiet option will remove these later */

So I went ahead and tried implementing this quiet flag. However, it's
not very useful for me, because I'm too lazy to add an additional flag
every time. At least now, I *can* disable these messages... but the
behavior I described above would be much better.