[pacman-dev] package PKGINFO format vs DB format

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 04:31:39 EDT 2007

I may be missing some history here, but I am wondering why the package
metadata is in a different format than the DB metadata.

As far as parsing goes, it would be ideal to unify the two formats.

Does anyone (judd, you're CC'd on this) know any reason to keep two
different formats, or any tools that would be negatively impacted by
such a change? Please note, a "negative impact" is not that same as
"we have to change it for the new format" - more along the lines of
"we can no longer do XYZ".

-- Aaron