[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:26:48 EDT 2007

On 4/24/07, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Responding to Roman- not to say you are wrong, but bandwidth has never
> > been a concern for me and I feel like a lot of other users are the
> > same way. We should keep that in mind with decisions though, although
> > Arch has never been marketed as a distribution meant for those with
> > slow connections- the idea of constant upgrading stomps on that.
>
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=22872
>
> Arch may very well become (more) suitable for those with slow
> connections if this gets merged in the future :) But regardless, the
> bandwidth used by docs seems pretty negligible...

Very true. I like the effort that has been put into this work, which
is more than I would have put in, and it looks like it has real
potential.

On the second note (size of docs), has anyone done some size figures
on a lot of these things? Taking a selection of packages and getting
the sizes of the following things would be nice:
Minimal package (binaries, libraries, /usr/share, etc.)
Docs
Locales
Anything else that could be stripped (either during package builds or
during install)