[pacman-dev] makepkg patch to create $pkgname-docs package for docs

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 03:23:41 EDT 2007

2007/4/28, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org>:

> There's a problem with stripping stuff needed for build - that "problem"
> is the AUR.  Someone may never expect to need to compile, but then
> suddenly they realize this really neat or critical app is only
> available in the AUR - what happens when they set their option to strip
> away all these files?  How do they get them back?  This seems like it
> could be a big hassle.

Neat and/or critical app should ideally be at least in community, not
unsupported :)

But you could do like in debian, having each lib splitted in foo and foo-dev.
Build dep (depends) is foo-dev, which contains the headers and stuff,
and runtime dep (makedepends) is foo, which contains only the lib.
And yes, it is a big hassle. But if you care about size, it doesn't
make sense to ignore that.
So people who care should use a distrib that does this split imo.
But me, I don't care at all, and want to be able to build packages
easily, so I find arch easier to use for that.
When you just rebuild a deb, someone already found all the *-dev files
for building, so you can install these automatically. But when you
want to build a new app, it's often boring to have to track all of
them (but worth it, since you only install the -dev packages you need,
and don't have a lot of unused ones, which takes a lot of extra
space).