[pacman-dev] dangerous symlink handling with --root option

Mister Dobalina reebydobalina at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 21 10:35:37 EDT 2007

--- Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, I just made an installation of filesystem and
> all its dependencies,
> and it seemed to work.
> The filesystem scriptlet complained though because
> grep was missing, but at
> least it was run.

Try installing bash and all its dependencies, in the
proper order (so, without using "-Ud"). Then install
glibc a second time. You'll notice that the first time
glibc is installed it has no complaints, but the
second time the scriptlet complains about missing grep
and awk and other things. I infer from this that the
scriptlet is not running at all before bash is
installed, since it should complain about missing grep
and awk both times. This has implications for this
method of installing archlinux:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_Arch_from_within_another_distro

which I've added to the "discussion" section of that
wiki page.

My original problem of incorrect permissions on /tmp
was because I was installing neither bash nor
coreutils into my chroot (using zsh instead), and
using "-Ud" to install filesystem.

Jeremy

      Make free worldwide PC-to-PC calls. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/