[pacman-dev] Future pacman development (3.2/4.0)

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Thu Aug 23 09:53:21 EDT 2007

> How about simplifying file backend storage structure:
> eliminate the $repo/$pkgname-$pkgver-$pkgrel/{desc,depends} tree and
> use simple $repo/$pkgname-$pkgver-$pkgrel where info desc and depends
> is stored.
> This was discussed some time ago and AFAIR there were no objections.
Well, IMHO this is useful for sync repos only... And for sync repos I can
imagine better read-only optimized storing (one file, dbms ...), but the devels
probably don't want to write 2 different backends (for sync and local repos)

I also think, that the current backend structure is quite inefficient (I also
suggested some modifications earlier...). The main problem, that the local repo
structure cannot be modified easily (I would prefer an extension of the current
structure with symlinks for example...): we cannot implement it slowly, because
users don't want to convert their localdbs too often ;-)
Personally, I don't like the fact that localdb stores implicit pkg-pkg relations
(requiredby foo, depends providedfoo) instead of storing the _dependencies_
properly <- we need to compute them from these implicit informations all the
time (pkgcache has the same limitation here). Group storing is also really
inefficient (the slowest set implementation...), grpcache helps a bit here.
Bye, ngaba