[pacman-dev] Suggestion: Move local db to a different location

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 23 22:45:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:52:39 -0400
"Dan McGee" <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/23/07, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > we have
> >
> > /var/lib/pacman/local/
> > /var/lib/pacman/remote/current
> > /var/lib/pacman/remote/extra
> > etc...
>
> Wow, this makes a lot of sense. This shouldn't be too hard to
> implement and even make backward compatible for a bit. In essence all
> we have to do to make it backward compatible is delete the existing
> repo directories if it finds them, if we even want to do that. Hell,
> we can do that in an install script.
>
> Who wants to whip together a patch for this, which I think we can
> safely include in 3.1?

I can probably do it, it'll just take some time, since I've never used
git and I've never really delved into the pacman code.  I know where
the backend is, and I imagine it'd be easy enough for me to patch in
once I have a local pull.

There was a thread on this ML about how to grab stuff from git IIRC... I
wonder if I can find it again. Otherwise, if you wouldn't mind
explaining to a complete git noob how to get started, I'd appreciate
that too. ;)

--
Travis