[pacman-dev] FS#7308 implementation questions

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 05:33:46 EDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 02:08:47AM +0200, rprinse at planet.nl wrote:
> As I was browsing through the task list I stumbled upon FS#7308.
> This was a feature I also would like to have implemented so I thought why not try it myself!
>
> Because I'm lazy sometimes (who isn't) I don't always take care of any .pacnew or .pacsave files immediately so a nice timestamp suffix would prevent them from getting overwritten by pacman. Especially when you would like to see what changed overtime or when you just don't want that your old saved settings might get overwritten.

If pacnew files are overwritten, then it's good, isn't it ? That way, you
just have the last one.

And for pacsave files, pacman should only save configs as .pacsave when they
have been modified, so it'll just keep the most recent one.

I think the way it works currently is much better, but well, if it's an
option and others find it useful, then why not.