[pacman-dev] [Translation] Call for translations for 3.1 release

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 23:01:21 EST 2007

This is an announcement to all you on this list who wants to help out
and make pacman available to your native language.

I made a commit tonight
<http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=3170106149ce21d3ba5c68fc134672f08ddf793b>
that updated all of our existing translations, and we have quite a few
out of date messages. I've pasted the output below, slightly
simplified so its readable.

Entering directory `/home/dmcgee/projects/pacman/lib/libalpm/po'
de.po
51 translated messages, 76 fuzzy translations, 18 untranslated messages.
en_GB.po
125 translated messages, 9 fuzzy translations, 11 untranslated messages.
es.po
49 translated messages, 78 fuzzy translations, 18 untranslated messages.
fr.po
49 translated messages, 78 fuzzy translations, 18 untranslated messages.
hu.po
51 translated messages, 76 fuzzy translations, 18 untranslated messages.
it.po
125 translated messages, 9 fuzzy translations, 11 untranslated messages.
pl_PL.po
49 translated messages, 78 fuzzy translations, 18 untranslated messages.
pt_BR.po
16 translated messages, 46 fuzzy translations, 83 untranslated messages.
ru_RU.po
ru_RU.po:7: headerfield `Language-Team' missing in header
30 translated messages, 65 fuzzy translations, 50 untranslated messages.

Entering directory `/home/dmcgee/projects/pacman/po'
de.po
105 translated messages, 136 fuzzy translations, 200 untranslated messages.
en_GB.po
400 translated messages, 37 fuzzy translations, 4 untranslated messages.
es.po
95 translated messages, 134 fuzzy translations, 212 untranslated messages.
fr.po
98 translated messages, 150 fuzzy translations, 193 untranslated messages.
hu.po
166 translated messages, 37 fuzzy translations, 238 untranslated messages.
it.po
400 translated messages, 37 fuzzy translations, 4 untranslated messages.
pl_PL.po
98 translated messages, 142 fuzzy translations, 201 untranslated messages.
pt_BR.po
98 translated messages, 142 fuzzy translations, 201 untranslated messages.
ru_RU.po
98 translated messages, 142 fuzzy translations, 201 untranslated messages.

Note that the huge untranslated message count is due to all of the
scripts being gettext-ed. Please don't be intimidated by this- if you
don't want to translate the scripts right now, then feel free to skip
them. If I was deciding priorities:
1. Ensure all of the pacman proper (not libalpm) messages are translated.
2. Ensure all of the libalpm messages are translated.
3. Ensure all of the makepkg messages are translated.
4. Translate anything else.

I will take any patch or correction, even if you don't have time to do
it all- so feel free to send your updates in on the list! Please
prefix any email with [Translation]; although [Patch] will be fine as
well if you are mailing straight from GIT.

Read the commit message above, the 'translation-help' file in the GIT
repo, or join us in #archlinux-pacman if you have any questions.