[pacman-dev] Fix reason handling before 3.1 (was: Final steps before 3.1 release)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:43:18 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 4:47 AM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> Well, the changelog between 3.0.x and 3.1 will be huge and impressive;-)
> There are some issues which annoy me a bit:
> -sync044.py (but this is only one thing: see
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-September/009271.html for
> details) <- %REASON% is one of my favourite libalpm features, and now this is
> quite buggy :-(
> -FS#8350
>
> OK, I don't want to delay this release (imho we should release pacman more
> frequently <- but then we should do a message freeze between two major versions
> to help to our translators), but I think we should release 3.1.1 soon to fix
> these. Or to be precise, these are libalpm (libdownload?) issues, but in AL we
> have no separate libalpm package.

I think we can get this into 3.1 without a problem, IF we can exactly
lay out the problem. From your other email, it looks like we should
have a sequence of patches that do the following:
1. Add an --asexplicit option
2. First, determine a REASON policy for things such as installs,
upgrades, and syncs including pulling in deps. Second, make a patch
that implements this (and has comments in the code and commit msg!)
3. Implement HoldPkg reason (value of 2)? If they aren't already,
these should become constants/enums in the code since we now have more
than two possibilities.

So, in short Nagy- pick what you want to do above and help us get this
done. Also, let me know what Aaron or I need to do to help you.