[pacman-dev] coloured pacman

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 12:42:04 EST 2007

On 2/6/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Vojtěch Gondžala <vogo at seznam.cz> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this patch add coloured output in to pacman-3.0.0
> >
> > diff is here: http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xgondz/pacman3-color/pacman3-color.diff
>
> I think the general consensus is that coloring pacman output is bad,
> but I really have no technical opinion.

My opinion on color is this- it seems to make more sense in bash
scripting than C programming. However, it is something often asked
for, so I don't want to say it isn't something that should be
considered. I guess I would say this...perhaps we should wait for
pacman 3.1 when we try to refine the output system a bit. Right now,
pm_fprintf, MSG, and ERR just make a lot of trouble it seems, and we
need to fix those up a bit. I'd like to see the kind of color that
this patch provides to see what direction we should go with changing
the output functions.