[pacman-dev] Documentation and manpages [was: Release Schedule for 3.0]

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:53:04 EST 2007

This is a proposal to clean up our build system a bit. Currently, the
translated manpages are generated using a tool called po4a, which
seems to be a rather contrived way to generate just a few things.
Would it be easier for translators to just translate the whole
manpage, in its original form? This would greatly simplify this side
of the documentation keeping, and we could develop a system to figure
out when our translated manpages need updating.

In addition, it seems to make sense to just move the manpages to their
real name (pacman.8) instead of automake/autoconf input files
(pacman.8.in). There isn't much reason to have these preprocessed.

All of this would make working on the documentation a lot less
intimidating, in my opinion. Thoughts?