[pacman-dev] pacman translations

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:48:11 EST 2007

OK. We have progress. I had to wrap my head around the whole gettext
thing, but I did some tweaking and tinkering and got it to work nice
and (kind of) smooth now.

Here is the commit I made tonight, and it is pending on showing up on
the list because it is some 400K in patches:
* Update of all the *.po files and *.pot template files.
* Makefile targets to rebuild po files now work - use 'make update-po' in
  the po directories.
* Added two new translation templates as requested on the ML- 'it' and
  'pt_BR'.

As I said above, all of the po files are now updated. So those that
started and made early replies on this thread, it is go time if you
want to start the translations. I don't know much about it as I've
never had to do it, but Alessio replied below about putting the
gtranslator tool in community, and I believe the KDE equivalent kbabel
may be useful as well. If not, just go straight to a text editor and
do it that way.

If there was previously translated material available, it should still
be in your respecive po files. I know Giovanni said that he had
previously translated pacman to Italian, however, this seems to be
nowhere that I can find. If you still have something sitting around,
we can try and incorporate it in, let me know on that.

I would say your best bet is translate as much as you want/can, and
then just inline include that file in an email back to this list. One
of us will then place it back in the repository.

So short summary: the po (translation) files are located in
lib/libalpm/po/ and src/pacman/po/ at the moment. Currently I would
not recommend starting on the manpages, as they are not complete yet.

Any other questions, feel free to contact me or the list.