[pacman-dev] CVS update of pacman-lib (TODO.aaron)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 13:34:27 EST 2007

On 2/7/07, Aaron Griffin <aaron at archlinux.org> wrote:
> +* Dan and I both have personal TODOs.  Perhaps we should kill off TODO and
> +  TODO.autoconf

And/or move all TODO files into a TODO/ directory. I did this in my
local repo, which is a lot easier with anything other than CVS.

> +* Look into other VCSs to use.  The main CVS repo will remain, but having a
> +  distributed system to allow for easy patching/pushing/pulling would be nice
> +  - monotone and mercurial look like the top contenders in my book, but I need
> +    to evaluate both a bit more.

Obviously I agree with this. They work so much better when making
independent changesets, and allow for much more intelligent merging. I
still need to look into mercurial a bit more.

> +* libalpm: just because a function is in alpm.h doesn't mean it needs to be in
> +  alpm.c - we should move functions around where they should be.  In fact,
> +  alpm.c might not be needed at all, if things were organized properly.

I think reducing the number of source files could be a good thing-
makes the project a lot less intimidating.

> +* feature for 3.1: package file hooks *
> +  I've been planning on this one for some time.  Here's a simple rundown:
> +  in /etc/pacman.d/hooks:
> +     Hook /usr/include/* : /usr/bin/ctags -R /usr/include/*.h -f /usr/include/systags
> +  This will allow us to make "global hooks" to simplify a lot of repetitive
> +  install files (scrollkeeper, depmod, etc).  This also allows us to move
> +  ldconfig out of pacman entirely.
> +  possible: /etc/pacman.hooks/* files for hooks, so packages can add them too

Makes a lot of sense.

> +* feature for 3.1: revamp the autotools system.  I'd LOVE to use a manual system
> +  like wmii and friends do.  It'd be real nice if we could just do away with
> +  autotools altogether.

I just ran across cmake the other day. Not real familiar with it, but
looks promising as it still includes capabilities for building
libraries although it is much less complex than autotools. I noted
that in my TODO as well.