[pacman-dev] CVS update of pacman-lib (TODO.aaron)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 14:46:06 EST 2007

On 2/7/07, Jürgen Hötzel <juergen at hoetzel.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:09:46PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>
> > +* feature for 3.1: revamp the autotools system.  I'd LOVE to use a manual system
> > +  like wmii and friends do.  It'd be real nice if we could just do away with
> > +  autotools altogether.
>
> Whats the problem with autotools/libtools?

Technically, nothing.  It's more personal preference than anything
else.  I like manual methods.  make is a great system and really
doesn't need layer upon layer to work.  There are many very large
projects out there which don't need autotools and get away with it
flawlessly (i.e. the kernel).

My TODO list isn't set in stone, it's more or less things I'd *like* to do.

ftjam, perforce jam, bjam, cmake, scons, all of them - they all
overcomplicate the process it seems.  But again, this is just my
opinion which isn't generally the opinion of everyone else.