[pacman-dev] Is this a bug ?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 09:15:13 EST 2007

On 2/15/07, Douglas Soares de Andrade <douglas at paradigma.com.br> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Pacman3 cannot unzip zip files. See this:
>
> [douglas at ressonance mercury]$ makepkg
> ==> Entering fakeroot environment
> ==> Making package: mercury 1.9RC2-1 (Qui Fev 15 10:08:50 BRST 2007)
> ==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
> ==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
> ==> Retrieving Sources...
>    -> Found 1.9RC2.zip in build dir
>    -> Found merxtra.tar.bz2 in build dir
>    -> Found mercury in build dir
>    -> Found Mercury.desktop in build dir
>    -> Found license.txt in build dir
> ==> Validating source files with md5sums
>     1.9RC2.zip ... Passed
>     merxtra.tar.bz2 ... Passed
>     mercury ... Passed
>     Mercury.desktop ... Passed
>     license.txt ... Passed
> ==> Extracting Sources...
> ==> WARNING: file had trouble detecting type, assuming tar
>    -> tar -xf 1.9RC2.zip
> tar: Este não parece ser um arquivo-tar
> tar: Pulando para o próximo cabeçalho
> tar: Saída por erro atrasada pelos erros anteriores
> ==> ERROR: Failed to extract 1.9RC2.zip
> ==> Aborting...

Keep in mind this is makepkg and not pacman here. This is a bug in the
file utility- sometimes it fails to correctly detect the file type. It
has been fixed in the unreleased 4.20 version, but we will have to
wait until the author releases that to be completely free of this bug.
Notice in the above output the WARNING line about file- I put that
there for just this reason. If you run 'makepkg' and or 'file -biz' on
the archive a few more times, this notice should go away and the
package will build as intended.