[pacman-dev] [Bug] using strlen with utf8

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 01:47:01 EST 2007

On 2/14/07, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2007 16:55:58 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > Good catch. Just made a CVS commit that should hopefully fix this
> > issue. Let me know if you see it pop up anywhere else, the commit I
> > made should fix all instances of it happening on the progress bars.
>
> I just compiled this new version, but it doesn`t change the output. Strange
> thing...

Ok. I know where this problem stems from, and more or less how to fix
it. However, it will require a bit of changing to get it to output
right, and I don't want to make these kind of changes right before we
release. It has to do with printf() being a byte-oriented output, so
we need to do some conversion to a wchar_t based output in cases like
this where character numbers are important and they aren't guaranteed
to match up with the byte numbers.

This bug should never go the other way (make the progress bar line too
long), so I don't want to call this a critical bug. Are you fine with
putting it off until the first 'bugfix' release?