[pacman-dev] 'replaces' confusion

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 03:31:34 EST 2007

So it appears the backend and pactest are both a little confused about
where 'replaces' belongs.

If we look at a current repo, 'replaces' is listed in the /desc file:

$ cat /var/lib/pacman/current/gawk-3.1.5-3/desc
%NAME%
gawk

%VERSION%
3.1.5-3

%DESC%
Gnu version of awk

%CSIZE%
552398

%MD5SUM%
4f539bb7ba6bb3328a2891ecf4ad2caf

%REPLACES%
mawk

However, it appears that libalpm actually *writes* this info to the
/depends file - replaces info is NOT written to the local DB.  Please
note that it appears this code is never actually hit.  The db_write
routine is not currently used when unpacking a remote DB, it is mostly
untarred directly.  In the future, however, this routine WILL be used
to write DB info, so it is important to figure this out now:

Where does 'replaces' info belong?  I leave the question open, because
i have no opinion, but I'd like to do this right - where does it fit
best?  The /depends file seems more appropriate, as it contains all
the "list" info already.

Anyone have an opinion?