[pacman-dev] 'replaces' confusion

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 11:37:46 EST 2007

On 2/26/07, eliott at cactuswax.net <eliott at cactuswax.net> wrote:
> I do have a related question though.
> Why are there two files with the package info?
> Just wanting to know the reasoning behind the choice, to split the desc
> and depends info into separate files, instead of a single file to parse?

I've thought about that too... actually, i've been wanting to try an
architecture where we don't have:
  /var/lib/pacman/*/foo-1.2-1/desc
but
  /var/lib/pacman/*/foo-1.2-1
as a normal file, containing all info.  Less files == good.

Still, part of the reason the pacman3 DB format hasn't changed much is
for easy of transition.  I don't feel comfortable saying "run this
script to convert your DB" or something like that.... so basically it
needs to be thought out well in advance.