[pacman-dev] 'replaces' confusion

Travis Willard travisw at wmpub.ca
Mon Feb 26 12:01:31 EST 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:37:46 -0600
"Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Still, part of the reason the pacman3 DB format hasn't changed much is
> for easy of transition.  I don't feel comfortable saying "run this
> script to convert your DB" or something like that.... so basically it
> needs to be thought out well in advance.

No need to make them run a script - the difference in DB format is
obvious enough for pacman3, on first run, to detect the 'old' format
based on the db structure, output a message like

==> pacman has detected an older version of the database, and must
update it. This will happen only once, please wait...

and do the conversion automatically on first run.

Just my two cents. :)

--
Travis