[pacman-dev] Pacman, some thoughts

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 04:27:39 EST 2007

Hello,

I still spend some time looking a bit curious at pacman.
It's rather the way it's coded, than the current features it provides.

I mean, it's using quite everything marked as "bad style" in most
books, and alot of those things could actually be avoided (Macros,
goto).

The 2nd thing is: You've been talking (and mentioning) ALPM
documentation. I personally dislike manpages for interface
documentation. I rather think about a interface documentation using
Doxygen or similar tools.

I've documented about 3 projects, more than 50.000 lines of code using
doxygen the past week, and must say i'm happy with the result.
Especially for the public SOAP interface it's nice having it, but also
for internal reference and new developers who need some description
about the functions in the code. And, hands (and heads) down, the code
itself (functions etc.) isn't well inline documented.

The last, but not least thing: SOURCE releases of RCs / nightly CVS checkouts.
I've always been thinking about daily source tarballs. I've been
thinking about providing such a script on my own, but my current
provider forbids to have a public server running (sad but true, with
cable 6mbit in/out).

Why so?
I'm often somewhere around the world, because of my job (italy,
germany, ...), where i often connect in other infrastructures. I've to
use a proxy, not supporting CVS. Since i havn't much to do in the
evenings there, i actually want to do something - but can't.
I don't think i'm the only one who would like nightly source checkouts
being provided "as tarball".