[pacman-dev] CVS update of pacman-lib/pactest (pmenv.py tests/upgrade056.py)

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 28 15:52:53 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:18:28 -0600
"Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > While this may be, I think that the idea is good: being able to
> > apply a version to a provisio.
>
> a) I hate the term 'provisio', it's not even a real word 8)
>
> b) you mean that you want a provision to use the vercmp functionality
> in the case of a depends=() entry with a version?
> Can you give me a case where this would be useful (one that doesn't
> work simply using the version of the actual package)

a) Fair enough.  I only used it because Judd used it.

b) The first one that comes to mind would be a
python/jython/ironpython/pypy example.  Python programs can be written
against python 2.5, but jython only supports python 2.2 (so it would
provide=('python-2.2')).  Pypy 0.99.0 provides python-2.5 (I believe).

Same sort of thing for java with kaffe, jre, gcj, etc.

If you think of a group of provisions, any time a fundamental change
happens to the entire group, you'd probably want a new version number.

Jason