[pacman-dev] New pacman testing RC

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 11:04:35 EST 2007

2007/1/23, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On 1/22/07, James Rosten <seinfeld90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > After you left IRC, we realized klapmeutz was correct about the provides thing.
> > We realized that kernel26beyond said it provides kernel26 in its info, while
> > kernel26ck, kernel26mm, and kernel26suspend2 do not say they provide kernel26.
> > More evidence pointing to this is that pacman -Ss ^mpd$ (with smoons repo which
> > has mpd-svn) shows both mpd and mpd-svn.
>
> Yeah, I didn't even notice it regexes 'provides' as well... in fact,
> that doesn't appear documented anywhere and I actually didn't know it
> worked that way.
>
> Do we want this behavior?  While I can see if being useful, shouldn't
> the actual output contain something to indicate WHY it matched?

Doing pacman -Ss ^pkgA$ and getting pkgA and
completely-differenly-named-pkgB is confusing IMO, especially when no
reason is indicated.
Either there should be indication that it was matched because it
provides searched package or this searching-in-provides feature should
be dropped, IMHO.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)