[pacman-dev] makepkg and NOT extracting netfiles

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:39:53 EST 2007

On 1/23/07, Jürgen Hötzel <juergen at hoetzel.info> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 12:15:14PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > On 1/23/07, Jürgen Hötzel <juergen at hoetzel.info> wrote:
> > > Awesome. Much complexity just to guess right how the package maintainer
> > > wants to prepare the sources. This should be moved into a single function
> > > lookIntoTheCrystalBallAndExtractSources(). Not really KISS.
> >
> > Not true.  I added all of 3 lines to get this functionality.
> > Considering "noextract" is a very rare case, I think this is fairly
>
> I meant the whole 42 lines in makepkg required to "guess how to extract"
> the sources.

Didn't it get shorter with this change?

> > Also, manual extraction is not very "KISS" either... if things are
> > obvious, they should be handled in an obvious manner (extract a tar.gz
> > file).
>
> Nearly every build() function starts with a
>
> "cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver"
>
> you could also move this (for the same reason) to makepkg but will have the
> same error-prone workarounds.

The only other possibility- and of course it still has its drawbacks-
would be to just do a "noextract" option in the options array, and if
it was set, it is up to the package itself to do the extraction.
However, this becomes a pain when there is only one file you may not
want extracted, and then are required to manually extract the rest, so
I don't know if that is any better. No matter what we do here, we are
always left with some issue, and if we went way back the original fie
extension way, we are still left with the "wrong extension on archive"
issue.