[pacman-dev] Output questions

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:00:26 EST 2007

2007/1/24, Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org>:
> On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 10:19 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > I have a few pending questions about the current output that I'd like
> > to get some opinions on.
> >
> > Firstly, the spacing in -Ss output - there is an extra newline after
> > each package.  This was added a while back upon request, and i
> > personally like it, but it makes the output real huge.
> >
> > Looks like the options are:
> > * Keep the line (-Ss output)
> > * Remove the line (-Qs output)
> > * Add the line between repositories only.
> >

> I have no preference here.

It doesn't matter much for me, but IMHO it would be better to have -Ss
and -Qs with the same look.

> > Secondly, we have an interesting -Ss "issue" here:
> > $ pacman -Ss ^kernel26$
> >
> > This should only output (duh) kernel26.  However, it also displays
> > kernel26beyond.  This is because -Ss ALSO searches the provides=()
> > entries for each package... this is a bit misleading.
> >
> > The options are as follows:
> > * Keep this search and indicate, somewhere, that the package was
> > matched due to a provides=() entry
> > * Don't search provides=() at all
>
> or:
> 3) Don't search provides with -Ss, but add another option for searching
> provides.

Also, in the previous discussion about this there was a mention of
adding a reason to packages that were matched because of provides.
I like Dale's idea though. I don't think pacman has too much options,
so some new option won't hurt IMHO. However there's no need to make
all options single-char, something like -Ss --provides will be enough,
IMHO.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)