[pacman-dev] MD5/SHA* why?

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Tue Jul 3 16:02:56 EDT 2007

Mateusz Jedrasik wrote:
>  And, when all else fails, there's the ground statement - everyone else's
> doing it! ;-)
The worst excuse ever :p

Dan McGee wrote:
 > On 7/3/07, Andrew Fyfe <andrew at neptune-one.net> wrote:
 >> I asked this question a while ago about makepkg now I'm asking about
 >> pacman... why do we need support for multiple checksum types? What's
 >> wrong with md5?
 >
 > Frugalware switched to using sha1sums, so that is a big reason. If you
 > can find a good reason to pull support for it, let us know, but as of
 > right now I don't see a reason to remove it, even if we don't use it.
 > Any other distribution using pacman may want to use it, so the option
 > is there.
 >
 > -Dan

My problem is more with the fact that we have 5 functions and 1 field in
pmpkg_t for each checksum and we have to do

if checksum = x then
	x_foo();
else if checksum = y then
	y_foo();
else if checksum = z then
	z_foo();
fi

every time we want to do something with a checksum. For now I'll just
treat it the same as makepkg... cause we can :D

Andrew