[pacman-dev] difficult symlink "puzzle"

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:39:27 EDT 2007

2007/7/4, ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>:
> > Well this is how dpkg does it (src/processarc.c:471)
> As I see, this won't fix our problems...

I'm confused about what is the actual problem, and what's the solution
you propose for fixing it.

Anyway, the behavior you described that pacman now overwrites
directories symlinks instead of following them is a serious problem,
which has been reported there :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7484

The user who reported it said he was holding off any package upgrades,
for avoiding to break other existing symlinks.
What about trying to fix this problem first (ie reverting to the old
behavior pacman had with libarchive 1.3.1), and then worry later about
the smaller problems the old behavior had ?
(ie losing track of files when a symlink is deleted, which shouldn't
happen anyway)