[pacman-dev] How to run the install scripts

Siem Korteweg Siem.Korteweg at qnh.nl
Mon Jul 9 15:49:56 EDT 2007

Hi,

hope this is the proper mailing-list to post this.

I am new to ArchLinux and developing a package. I am having trouble to get
the install scripts running, I tested the following (minimal) package:

file x.install:
echo "$0 with arguments: $*" >>/tmp/log
# to be extended for pre- and post-install actions
exit 0

file src/x
#!/bin/sh
echo "$0"
exit 0

file x.build:
pkgname=x
pkgver=1.1.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc=('get the install scripts running')
arch=('i686')
install=x.install
license=('GPL')
build(){
   mkdir -p ../pkg/opt/x/bin
   cp -x ../pkg/opt/x/bin
   chmod 700 ../pkg/opt/x/bin/x
}

building the package with the command: makepkg -p x.build
The build succeeds and the resulting x-1.1.1-1.i686.pkg.tar.gz file contains
all the right files and the .INSTALL file contains the code of the x.install
file.

Installing the package with: pacman -U x-1.1.1-1.i686.pkg.tar.gz succeeds
also. The file /opt/x/bin/x is created. However, the file /tmp/log does not
exist, while I expected it to contain several lines for at least pre-install
and post-install. I did not change any of the pacman configuration files (on
my base-install).

Why does the install script not run?

Thanks in advance for any clue.

Siem Korteweg