[pacman-dev] Summary of pacman development

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:15:34 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 05:04:58PM -0400, Dan McGee wrote:
> * Added several pactests to isolate small issues, most from Nagy Gabor.
>
> * Implemented topological support for dependency sorting, courtesy of
> Nagy Gabor.
>

> * Current pactests known to fail:
> requiredby004, sync022, upgrade051.

Yes, most fix from Nagy have been fixed, but there is a few ones left :

* requiredby004 : Nagy UPGRADE RM patch :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008498.html

* remove044 pactest (this test hasn't been merged) : Nagy patch for removedeps :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008539.html

About sync022, is this a valid pactest ?
No one commented on the problem :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008548.html

About upgrade051, that's an old pactest which still fails, because it
requires merging -A/-U with -S code, and no one is ever going to do that,
because it's so messy :)

> * Pacman and directory symlinks:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7484
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008638.html
> This is quite the fun little bug. A lot of it deals with our
> transition both to libarchive, and then to the 2.X branch of
> libarchive. Andrew has a proposed patch for this problem

That's probably the most serious issue that needs to be fixed.
I proposed a much simpler patch than Andrew's one, but Andrew's way would
give us more control on the extraction.
That still requires some work though, and then a lot of testing :p

> * Fix some bugs related to dependencies: FS 7495, 7416

The second comment on 7495 bug looks to be exactly like Nagy's remove044 pactest,
so this test should probably be merged.

> If anyone else on the ML has things to add to this list, please get it
> out here. Eventually we can lay out a timetable for pacman 3.1 release
> and start doing some serious testing and regression testing.

Well a few issues I tried to investigate :

* pacman freeze
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-July/008726.html

* little error when installing/upgrading the first package in a new db
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-July/008693.html

Other things that could be done :

* various Nagy's various suggestions on dependency handling
  - refactor search for satisfyer code :
  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008539.html
  - usage of alpm_depcmp
  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-April/007917.html
  - various stuff
  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-April/008179.html
  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-April/008034.html

* pmdepend_t / pmdepmissing_t mess :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008539.html

Discussion :

* the great hashing algorithm discussion :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-March/007775.html
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008539.html

* format of the database :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008601.html

* download code and config parsing in backend or frontend?
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008645.html

* scriptlets handling
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-January/006355.html
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-May/005799.html

I found a very old TODO from Aurelien in the archives,
can anyone comment about the left items :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-March/005700.html

hmm, we already had a roadmap for 3.1 :)
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-March/007819.html

There was also a bug list for 3.1 there :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008624.html
but it probably has been outdated by the current thread :)