[pacman-dev] multiple extraction from package

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:08:43 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:53:49PM +0100, Andrew Fyfe wrote:

> But back to the point, I think we need a temporary directory
> (mkdtemp(/tmp/XXXXXXX)) where we put install and changelog before we
> commit a package to the database. Looking at this from the point of view
> of a normal db I would never enter the install file before I've actual
> created a valid entry for the package (the desc file).

Initially, I wanted to try avoiding extracting stuff to /tmp/ , influenced by
the following comment in package.c :
544   /* TODO there is no reason to make temp files to read
545    * from a libarchive archive, it can be done by reading
546    * directly from the archive
547    * See: archive_read_data_into_buffer
548    * requires changes 'parse_descfile' as well
549    * */

But since these files are used again later, I think I would prefer what you
just said, keeping files like install and changelog somewhere in /tmp/ , and
then moving them only when the entry is created. I agree totally :)