[pacman-dev] File/Path locations

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:13:18 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Andrew Fyfe <andrew at neptune-one.net> wrote:
> Dan McGee wrote:
> > On 6/4/07, Andrew Fyfe <andrew at neptune-one.net> wrote:
> >> Default behaviour for 'pacman --root'
> >> pacman --root /foobar
> >>         Root Dir  : /foobar
> >>         DB Path   : /foobar/$localstatedir/lib/pacman
> >>         Cache Dir : /foobar/$localstatedir/cache/pacman/pkg
> >>
> >>         Lock File : /foobar/$localstatedir/run/pacman.lck
> >>         Cfg File  : /foobar/$sysconfigdir/pacman.conf
> >
> > This is a reply to the whole email, but I wanted to highlight stuff
> > from above. This is no longer the case- I just eliminated this
> > behavior. Every path is independent of the others. ROOTDIR is
> > *completely* seperate now.
>
> Sorry this is still bugging me, having to type 'pacman -r ... -b ... -c
> ...' is a pain in the ass. 99% of the time when I'm using 'pacman -r' I
> want the same fs layout with a different root dir prefix. Am I the only
> one that uses 'pacman -r' like this most of the time.

I actually might agree with Andrew here.  Usually when I use -r, it's
like "hey lets install bash in my homedir" or "lets make a chroot dir
that I can use later".  I want to use everything else the parent
system has, as far as cache and configs go.

I dunno, what are all the use cases for using -r?  Can someone list a
use case where specifying all dirs is common?