[pacman-dev] feature request: create .tar.gz package from an installed one

ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Sat Jul 14 16:25:27 EDT 2007

Hi!
In my opinion one of the best thinks in pacman that unlike many other
package managers user can undo lots of thinks (see -R group after -S
group, -Rs after -S ...). However, user cannot undo a package upgrade,
because most sync servers doesn't store old packages. So I think that
it would be very useful, if there would be a pacman or makepkg command
to create a package from an installed one (or is this implemented?). We
could(?) do this from the local db and the installed files. Of course
this wouldn't be a "distro" package, because config files can change
etc. but this is even better for backup/undo.
You may say, that this is totally useless, because if a package is
installed then there must exist a proper .tar.gz file somewhere.
-but package can be installed from aur and user may deleted the "binary" file
-if you move to a place with no network, you can easily create "backup"
packages before -R (and reinstall) or you can give this package to your
Archer friend
-slightly reduces needless Arch-server using
-it can be easily implemented (IMHO)
Bye, ngaba