[pacman-dev] Maelstrom(Pacman in C#) project brief

Bozhidar Batsov lordbad at e-card.bg
Fri Jul 20 09:13:34 EDT 2007

VMiklos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Na Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 03:37:26PM +0300, Bozhidar Batsov <lordbad at e-card.bg> pisal(a):
>
>> 1. This is not a client for libaplm - it is a complete framework written
>> from scratch without even consulting the original source code.
>>

> what's the point of this? why not just using the lib bindings?
>
> thanks,
> - VMiklos

Three main reasons:

1. The bindings do not reflect the true nature of a C# application.
2. By reimplementing everything there is the slight possibility that
you'd do something better than it was done in the original - if it
happens, it can be retrofitted there.
3. It is much more fun do it all...

P.S. Everything would have been much easier had the format of the
database been thoroughly explained somewhere. I had to guess and ask a
lot before I could achieve a working state of things.