[pacman-dev] Missing sanity checks for path -> weird behaviors and segfaults

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 17:06:44 EDT 2007

If Root isn't specified, paths like (null)var/ will be created.
I think pacman should either default to / for Root, or just fail if it isn't
set.
Also, if no Cache Dirs is set, pacman will try to fallback to /tmp/ , but
then it segfaults. (try pacman -Sw bar).

Apparently it segfaults on this in libalpm/sync.c , sync_commit function,
after downloading the file succesfully :
718   for(i = handle->dbs_sync; i; i = i->next)

I found it weird that inside that loop, i was used a second time in an inner
loop :
758       for(i = alpm_option_get_cachedirs(); i; i = alpm_list_next(i)) {

I thought that was the problem, but it didn't fix the segfault.

Second strange thing is that the files list seem to be freed in any cases :
 795       FREELIST(files);

but it's used at the end of that _alpm_sync_commit function :
1018   if(!validcache && !(trans->flags & PM_TRANS_FLAG_DOWNLOADONLY)) {
1019     /* delete packages */
1020     for(i = files; i; i = i->next) {
1021       unlink(i->data);
1022     }
1023   }

Finally, if the cache isn't valid (so it fallbacks to /tmp/) and DOWNLOADONLY is used,
files won't be deleted, but will they be used next times?
Because the fallback (lines 779-790) happen after the check of existence of
the package in the cache (lines 740-744).
I can't check what happens because of the segfault.