[pacman-dev] Maelstrom(Pacman in C#) project brief

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:52:39 EDT 2007

I can give you another point why NOT using alpm at the current state:
- API Interfaces still change a lot (all 2-3 weeks)
- The interface still is "ugly"
- A lot of functionality is missing for a proper GUI client to be written

You have done a great work on the C# implementation. I actually dislike the
thought of having mono on the base, not for the reason that c# is anything
good or bad, but for the reason that c# / mono isn't complete. I wouldn't
even consider it as feature complete, they're always behind the current C#
standards, often for a year.

I lately tried to port an application to GTK# (a quite complex client), but
it already failed on backend system functionality. The program is completely
.NET 2.0, and SHOULD work out with mono. I found some articles / post on
their groups that this is a bug of mono - i don't think a framework should
come in a stable version with broken functionality, neither it should need
more than half a year (as it's for now already) to get fixed.

I can see C# making the deal into one of the main linux application
development languages, but the time hasn't come yet. All of the applications
you mentioned were either broken when i tried them (muine), had a bad or
even worse performance (beagle)

Currently, i also don't see any advantage of C# compared to python. In linux
i see disadvantages, since there isn't too much software around, and not too
many libs you can use. Also, we would set on a language which is not very
popular in the linux community. As i know, C# has not even open standards.

Yours,
STi