[pacman-dev] Maelstrom(Pacman in C#) project brief

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 10:20:12 EDT 2007

So go for it.
I bet a couple of users will like it, and use it, as they use other
projects. I personally also would like it, for the simple reason that i'd
have it easier to get people to use arch.

I'm thinking about a friend of mine (as well as some guys at work here). He
plays one computer game, which has a native linux distribution of the
software, which runs perfectly on arch. He'd like to use Linux on his
desktop. He's the typical office user (MSN, ICQ, Office, Printing, E-Mail
and this Game).

Thus, he is a typical windows user, and telling him how the application
works is by far easier than giving him the hard truth about linux and
commandline.

I'll hopefully soon be working again on pyalpm and a pyQT client, hopefully
Cx will help me some (or i can help them with their pyQT client project).
Havn't had much contact, maybe he's lost in the few lines i wrote, since a
lot of them are replaceable by new features the alpm gained in the past
month.

I'd never say that i wouldn't use the project myself. Maybe i like it in the
end, and to be true, i already liked the interface you provided
(screenshots).

I just want to tell you, of course, a native one always was "cleaner"
"nicer" and "sexy", but it definitely re invents the wheel, for the reason
that the code will be written twice. Also, maybe you come up with ideas how
things could be implemented in pacman, since you seem to have plenty
experience, also in c/c++ development.

I've chosen pyrex for the same reason as you the native re-write: i didn't
like the procedural API interface of alpm - but it gets better every day.
Even when i'm currently not working on my projects, i follow the development
lists carefully.

If you want that project - do it. As i said, a lot of people will appreciate
it.

Also, why i considered this memory leak things is, that i may would like
some background application searching for updates, providing a systray entry
if updates are available (as other tools do). Though, this would need a
different / faster / less system consuming operation for checking updates
(as taking the provided rss feeds), but it would be possible, and a very
nice feature.

Yours,
Georg

PS: i know i write too much, hope you even want to read it ;)