[pacman-dev] Maelstrom(Pacman in C#) project brief

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:37:40 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 08:12:19PM +0200, VMiklos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Na Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 09:50:01PM +0200, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> pisal(a):
> > How is a package manager a low level tool?
>
> think of pacman.static, you can even run it without having glibc
> installed

I agree this is very practical. I remember that when I was on Gentoo years
ago, I broke python once, and that wasn't so cool. :)
But it shouldn't be too hard to have something for automatically restoring
python & emerge (in any cases, python can still be compiled / installed manually).

So in any cases, I don't think a package manager is a low level tool. It's
just that writing it at a low level indeed have several advantages. I'm just
wondering if the inconvenients aren't bigger.
I just believe that writing nice C code require more skills, and that there
are less people able to do that.
So if there were active developpers that could clean up all the messy parts,
it wouldn't matter.
Otherwise, using a higher level language might help in my opinion.