[pacman-dev] pacman -Sdf

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 4 20:10:30 EDT 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 01:56:29 +0200
"Giovanni Scafora" <linuxmania at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've a question for you.
> pacman -Sdf don't force install and don't overwrite conflicting files,
> is it a normal behaviour?
> Example:
>
> # pacman -Sdf lprng
> looking for inter-conflicts...
> :: lprng conflicts with cups. Remove cups? [Y/n] n
> error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
> error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
> :: lprng: conflicts with cups
>
> But if I download lprng package with -Sw option, then I use options
> -Adf I can overwrite conflicting files and so I'm able to install or
> upgrade (with -Udf option) lprng package.
> Thanks in advance for your answers.

That particular error isn't complaining about conflicts between files,
it's saying that, specifically, lprng as a package conflicts with cups,
ie. in the lprng package, it says conflicts=('cups')

As far as I know, pacman -A doesn't calculate per-package conflicts -
some difference in the codebase between -A and -U.

--
Travis