[pacman-dev] pacman -Sdf

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 4 21:14:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 02:57:08 +0200
"Giovanni Scafora" <linuxmania at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/6/5, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org>:
> > That particular error isn't complaining about conflicts between
> > files, it's saying that, specifically, lprng as a package conflicts
> > with cups, ie. in the lprng package, it says conflicts=('cups')
>
> If I know, but if I cannot overwrite with -Sdf, why I'm able to do it
> with -Adf or -Udf?
>
> > As far as I know, pacman -A doesn't calculate per-package conflicts
> > - some difference in the codebase between -A and -U.
>
> As far as I know, pacman help pages show same messages:

Yes, but "conflicting files" are not the same as "conflicting packages":

1) Conflicting files:  when both packages A and B contain the same file
(eg. /etc/config.conf)

2) Conflicting packages: when package A says conflicts=("B")

The -f flag, to pacman -A or pacman -S, overwrites conflicting files
(#1 above)

But, to the best of my knowledge, pacman -A doesn't properly handle
conflicting packages (#2 above), while pacman -S does.  Both handle
conflicting FILES (#1) fine.

--
Travis