[pacman-dev] A proposition for an enhancement - addition of category info to .PKGINFO

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:58:38 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/6/19, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com>:
> > For the ones who check this ML, but not the forums (since lordbad
> > always double post :d), phrakture gave a link to this :
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7132
> >
> > (thread is here : http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=34303 )
> >

> yeah, similar ideas about categories/tags/whatever were rised during
> SCM repo structure discussion, AUR2 brainstorming etc.
> Nice to see the idea didn't die :-)
> Though I'm not sure if it's worth to put categorization data into
> packages inself.

I disagree- when it deals directly with the package, why NOT include
it in the description (PKGBUILD) of the package?

> Wouldn't webinterface-only categorization be enought for
> browsing/searchig packages?

We try to make most things possible from the command line- I don't
think we should limit ourselves to a web-interface only listing of
categories either, especially if implementing it in both places (as
opposed to one) is trivial anyway.