[pacman-dev] Pacman depending on package naming scheme

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:39:37 EDT 2007

If anyone on the list wants to look this commit/branch of mine over
and review it, I'd appreciate it:
http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=shortlog;h=pkgname_check

I know Andrew just had a commit dealing with a very similar thing in
the xdelta creation in makepkg, and he removed the dependency on a
package having a certain name. This is the same sort of issue, and I
think it would be wise for us to fix it everywhere we can. Not only
does this free us up from the CARCH issue, note the amount of code we
can remove because of it. (For a side note- I challenge anyone to
start submitting patches to the list that result in a net removal
rather than addition of code. They are a lot more helpful than you
would think.)

Does anyone have concerns with this, and does anyone have some great
ideas how to (re)implement partial cache cleaning functionality
correctly? The old way wasn't phenomenal, and  I just got rid of it in
this first commit here. There were also many shortcomings in it as you
can see in the comments throughout that section.