[pacman-dev] difficult symlink "puzzle"

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:46:48 EDT 2007

2007/6/29, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>:
> > Is it very important to worry about -Rd ?
> No, this is independent from dependencies, git needn't depend on
> perl :-( Your solution is dangerous, I don't like files on my HDD out
> of pacman's control.

I didn't say it was ideal, but just that I think it should work that way.
If packages that put files in /usr/lib/perl5/* depends on perl
(directly or indirectly, like git),
then you can't remove perl without removing these packages as well.
So you do pacman -Rc perl, which should remove everything in the order
(with perl last), so that shouldn't cause any problems.

Anyway, that's maybe not ideal, but pacman has always worked fine that
way (not overwriting dir symlinks), while the current behavior of
deleting symlinks break everything.

> As a hotfix: file conflict error would be best imho.

hm, I'm not sure what you mean here :)
Just fail if there is a symlink on filesystem instead of a directory ?
I'm not sure people with an /opt symlink will be more happy with this behavior.
Same for all these perl packages.