[pacman-dev] more efficient use of db_cache needed

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:03:11 EST 2007

On 3/1/07, VMiklos <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
> Na Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:12:49PM +0100, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> pisal(a):
> > Because in the current
> > state of the db backend this is totally useless
>
> nope
>
> see http://frugalware.org/pipermail/frugalware-devel/2007-February/003092.html

I agree 100%.  The current backend isn't *totally useless*.  Sure it
has it's share of problems, but it can be improved without the use of
massive amounts of cache files as suggested above.

The only potential cache I thought of using, would be a cache of names
and descriptions for each repo... call it a "search cache".  However,
that'd only speed up searching.

The real solution is to change / tweak the actual implementation on disk.

Perhaps I'll take the nod from VMiklos and actually change all the
package functions tonight, as it appears it's a much larger
improvement (and thus much more valuable) than I expected.